Mary Meeker released her annual State of the Internet report at last month’s Re/Code conference. As usual it was chock full of interesting stats, this year expanding to almost 200 slides.
I wrote about her previous State of the Internet reports in 2012, 2013 and last year. In addition to the quality of the research, Meeker provides the perfect example of someone sharing valuable information freely to solidify her position as a thought leader. She’s also performing an important marketing objective, no doubt identifying business opportunities for her venture capital firm KPCB.
I’m embedding the video of her presentation below, if you’d like to watch for yourself. It’s 27 minutes long, so if you don’t have the time, I’ve curated (a hot Internet trend) some of the more interesting nuggets:
- Internet connectivity U.S. – from 9% in 1995 to 84% in 2014.
- Smart phones in U.S. – 18% in 2009 to 64% in 2014.
- User control of content is re-making the Internet – see the acceleration in the chart above.
- The average American spends 33% of annual income on housing, 18% on transportation and 14% on food. All are high volume “market engagements” not known for great user experiences and so ripe for disruption in the evolving “on-demand economy.”
- Enterprise software is going from making present work more efficient to transforming the nature of work itself.
- This year Millennials become the largest demographic in the workforce.
- From 1948 through 2000, job growth grew 1.7x faster than population growth – since 2000, population growth has grown 2.4x faster than jobs.
- Mary is just crazy about mobile video messaging, and says print is still way over-represented in ad dollars based on average user engagement time.
See below for the video – here’s a direct link if needed.
Other stories you might like:
- Mary Meeker State of the Internet Report I’ve been writing about Mary Meeker’s State of the Internet report for a few years...
- Latest Mary Meeker Internet Trends Report Mary Meeker of Kleiner, Perkins Caufield and Byers has released her latest Internet Trends Report....
- Internet Trends Point to Huge Upside of Mobile Internet There is so much market information available today that sometimes it can obscure the bigger...